The clock doesn’t have to strike midnight to turn your dog into a pumpkin this Halloween! Just follow these simple steps to create a pup-tastic masterpiece in no time.
- Serrated knife
- Large spoon
- Small knife or X-Acto blade
- Duct tape
- Candle (preferably flameless)
Make a Doggie Jack-O-Lantern
- Grab your pumpkin and cut off the crown with a sharp serrated knife. Make sure your pup keeps his distance while you use those sharp tools!
- Use a large spoon (or your hands!) to scoop out the pumpkin seeds and fibers.
- Now it’s time to pup-ify your pumpkin. You can either:
- Draw directly on the pumpkin. If you’re comfortable with going freehand, go ahead and draw a picture of your dog right on the outside of your pumpkin. Use a Sharpie or other felt pen to make sure you can see the lines.
- Use a stencil. If you want to take your time and allow for do-overs, it’s a good idea to sketch a stencil of your dog that you can then tape to the outside of your pumpkin.
- Once your design is either drawn or taped onto your pumpkin, grab your small knife or X-Acto blade and get carving! Carefully carve along the lines you’ve laid out in your design.
- When you’ve finished, you should be left with an adorable – and a little spooky – tribute to your pup! The finishing touch is to light up your design from the inside. We recommend using a flameless candle to keep your pup from accidentally scorching himself.
Don’t forget to take a few photos of your pup and his matching pumpkin. Share them on social media and tag us using #HeroPetBrands – we can’t wait to see your creations!