Do you have a leaky puppy or dog? One who leaks pee all over the floor, carpet, sofa, bed – in fact, leaves puddles and stains everywhere? There is a solution: dog diapers. Diapers for dogs, like diapers for kids, offer the protection you need for your home and also for your peace of mind.
If you have a new puppy you’re trying to house train, a few accidents are to be expected. But if it happens with an adult or older dog, schedule a visit to your vet to make sure she’s not suffering from a bladder infection or an illness such as diabetes. If your dog has been checked and is healthy – or just getting old – don’t despair. The same goes if you have a puppy.
When should you use dog diapers?
Here are eight scenarios where you might want to consider using them:
- If you have a new puppy. Use a diaper as part of the house training process in case she has an accident inside.
- If you have an older dog who suffers from incontinence.
- When you know your pooch is going to be in a situation where she’ll get over-stimulated, leading to “excitable urination.”
- If your furry friend likes to leave scent marks around your house, a sign that he’s claiming it as his territory. Unneutered male dogs tend to do this more than female dogs.
- When your female dog is in heat. (Another good reason to consider having your dog spayed!)
- If your dog is recovering from an illness or surgery.
- When you’re going on a long trip with your furry friend and don’t know how often you’ll be able to stop for a potty break.
- If your pet’s environment is about to change, which may cause him stress and anxiety and lead to inappropriate elimination.
View this post on Instagram
Oh dear, poor Laki went on heat last night, she didn’t quiet like the concept of the nappy idea ? to start off with? but soon learnt to accept it, as you can see in the following photos #dogsofheart dogsofheart #petsofinstagram #simplesolution #simplesolutions #simplesolutionsdogtraining #dogvideo #dogvideos #pet #pets? #petvideo #petvideos #puppyvideo #dog#dogs #dogslife #dogstagram #dogsofinstagram @brontosauruspets #insta_dogs #petsagram #thedodo
How do you choose the right dog diapers?
There are diapers available for females, males (called male wraps) and some diapers that are suitable for both sexes. And there are two kinds of dog diapers: disposable and washable. Disposable diapers are convenient if you lead a busy life and want diapers that you can use once and then discard. They’re also more hygienic, especially if they’re soiled (who wants to wash dirty diapers?!)
Figure out the diaper size you need for your dog. Take your dog’s measurements and then check the packaging so you choose the right size. If they’re too small, they’ll be uncomfortable for your pet and if they’re too large, they might fall off.
Simple Solution’s new line of Female Dog Diapers with True Fit and Male Wraps with True Fit are true-to-size with adjustable tabs so they fit comfortably and securely around a dog’s body. They also come in a wider variety of sizes so pet parents – especially those with toy or very large dogs – have more choice.
Look for diapers that fit comfortably and securely around your dog — but lets them move around freely – and has repositionable, fur-friendly fasteners that won’t pull on your pet’s hair.
The diapers you choose should have a thick inner layer to absorb wetness and messes, a breathable outer layer, and offer leak-proof protection.
One last tip: your pooch will need a little time to get used to wearing a diaper. Introduce them a little at a time until they are comfortable wearing them.
So there you have it. All you need to know to get you started with dog diapers. One final thing: urine is acidic and can burn your pet’s skin if it remains in contact for too long. It’s called “urine scald” and it’s pretty painful. So make sure to check your dog’s diapers often (Simple Solution’s diapers and wraps have a very helpful wetness indicator), change them soon as your pooch has gone potty, and wash your pet’s skin to keep it clean and dry.